Can't Find It - Search Wendy's For A Specific Recipe Here

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Green Tomato Pickle

This was another recipe that I found in my mum's handwriten recipe book. I know that she gave it to me probably about 30 years ago and I used to make it every year from the abundant tomatoes that we grew every season. It is very addictive to lovers of pickles and I know you will enjoy this as much as I always have.

PREPARATION:

1.5 kilos of green tomatoes
3 large brown onions
1 kilo sugar
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon tumeric
1 teaspoon curry powder
3 tablespoons mustard powder
pinch cayene pepper
1 litre spiced vinegar
1/2 cup cooking salt
3 litres water

Slice tomatoes and onions and sprinkle with salt, pour water over and let stand over night. Put in a large stock pot and heat enought to scald then strain off the water. Put vinegar and sugar in a pan, then the vegetables. Mix flour and other ingredients to a smooth paste with a little vinegar and water, then add to vegetables and simmer for approx 15 minutes. Bottle, label and store in cool pantry. Pickles will keep very well if well sealed.

No comments: