Can't Find It - Search Wendy's For A Specific Recipe Here

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tomato Soup Recipe

When winter comes around one ofmy favourite things is homemade soup. I am one of those cooks who often just throws in whatever I think will make a great soup. I also love collecting recipes from friends and family members who have a favourite one to pass on.
I found this recipe in my mums recipe book and I think she got it from an italian lady who used to share recipes with her. I have adapted it slightly to suit me. It is just so much nicer than any you can get out of a tin or packet and I am sure you will love it as much as I do once you have made it.

INGREDIENTS:

1 large brown onion - peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil ( I use a light tasting one)
1 clove fresh garlic - crushed
1 bottle of italian tomato pasta sauce ( I use the 700ml size)
1 litre chicken stock
4 very ripe tomatoes - chopped (Can halve cherry or grape tomatoes instead. About 1 punnet)
1 cup small pasta shells (optional)


METHOD:

Heat oil in large pan and saute onions and garlic for 3 - 4 minutes. Add fresh tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the bottled tomato sauce, chicken stock and pasta shells. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and cook for a further 25 - 30 minutes or until pasta is tender. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

I like to place some tasty cheese on top of some toast slices and brown under the grill to serve with the soup.

No comments: