Can't Find It - Search Wendy's For A Specific Recipe Here

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Beef in Ginger Beer

Someone passed this recipe on to me that they discovered in a magazine that was put out by a butcher. I wasn't too sure about it at first but after being encouraged to try it I decided to give it a go. Am I glad I did as it is just the best way to cook corned beef that I have tried.

PREPARATION:
1 kg of corned silverside
2 litres of ginger beer (shop bought)
250 mls marmalade with rind in

Simmer the beef in ginger beer for 2 - 2 1/2 hours or until tender. Only ginger beer is used so don't be tempted to add water or seasoning. Make sure that your beef is sitting below the ginger beer and not sitting out of it. If it does, you need either more ginger beer or else a smaller, deeper pot. Take the meat out of the ginger beer when cooked and dry the fat on the meat with a paper towel. Now cover the fat with half a centimetre of marmalade and bake for 10 minutes in an oven of 200C. Slice and serve with mashed potato and a tablespoon of ginger beer juice over the sliced meat and a little more warm marmalade.

No comments: